About Me

My photo
I moved to Alabama in 1978,and graduated from Fairhope High School in 1984. I attended Faulkner State Jr. College, and then the University of South Alabama where I graduated with a Marketing degree. I am married with two children, Jack and Heather, and we live in Spanish Fort. I have gone back to the University of South Alabama, and I am majoring in Elementary Education. This is my blog where you can explore some of the different things I have done in my studies.

Blog Post 9

picture of tree by the water
An Open Letter To Educators, by Morgan Bayda

I enjoyed this post, and video. I think that many of my experiences have been the same, especially since I went to high School and college back in the eighties. Ive had teachers recently that do nothing more than regurgitate facts that I can easily read, and I have others that use technology to various degrees. I like what she said about making teaching relevant using a project based type of learning.
The video she had on her page was interesting. I just had a class that dealt with institutional learning, and the white power structure that set it up. The comment about education not changing was very interesting, and makes you wonder why change is happening so slowly. The one thought that really stood out to me was where Dan Brown said that facts were free in the information age, there was no longer a need to memorize facts. Basically implying that this type of learning is out dated and irrelevant. I think he is correct, we must change the way we learn in order to stay relevant in the world.

ALEX, Alabama Learning Exchange.

ALEX is a great site. I have actually already used this site in another class when I needed to look up some lesson plans. The site has a menu that you can click on to go to the areas you are interested in. There are seven choices, they are: courses of study, web links, lesson plans, search, personal workspace, professional learning, and podcast treasury.
I think this site will be very useful when I begin teaching. It has a wealth of information on all different kinds of subjects related to teaching. I can also share and store my own lesson plans. This site will be invaluable as a tool for researching, and learning about related school subjects.
The ACCESS program being developed in Alabama is really great, giving people in rural areas a chance to get the education they need. The program uses web based technology and video conferencing to bring a long distance learning experience to students.

1 comment:

  1. Dr. Juarez?

    My "canned" comment for this post:

    I decided that we all need a slight bit of a "holiday" for the 4th. So you got to skip C4C Number 9; my associates got to skip comments on your post due 7/5 (Bayda, ALEX AND ACCESS); and I am doing this "group" comment for everyone who posted on time or by the "corrected” date (tonight at midnight) which means that if you get this message you were recorded as having submitted your post on time. I thought that your posts on Morgan Bayda's blog were good. Some were especially interesting and generated a personal email from me.

    We are moving into the final two weeks of the term. Only one more full week exists before the week in which your final project is due. It should be a significant project that demonstrates many of the tools you have learned to use and skills you have acquired in EDM310. It must be collaborative. If you have any questions about this project we should discuss them in lab tomorrow (Thursday July 8, 2010). There are only 12 days left in which to complete your final projects!

    ReplyDelete