About Me

My photo
I moved to Alabama in 1978,and graduated from Fairhope High School in 1984. I attended Faulkner State Jr. College, and then the University of South Alabama where I graduated with a Marketing degree. I am married with two children, Jack and Heather, and we live in Spanish Fort. I have gone back to the University of South Alabama, and I am majoring in Elementary Education. This is my blog where you can explore some of the different things I have done in my studies.

Blog Post Two

Michael Wesch: A vision of Students Today

I thought the video was okay. It seemed to give a gloomy outlook about students and school. I can relate to paying a lot of money for textbooks that are not needed. The video also suggests that we spend a lot more time on emailing, and facebook than anything else.
I think showing some good times, and not such a dismal outlook would better reflect my college experiences. I work now, so college is not as much fun this time around. I barely have time to do my work now, but when I was younger college was a lot of fun. One frustration that I had in college was getting teachers that could not speak English well.

"Its Not About Technology" by Kelley Hines

I completely agree with what Kelly Hines is saying. If you do not have a good teacher who is willing to learn, and keep up with the latest technology, all the new technologies are useless in their hands. Teachers have to keep learning, and have to always be working on ways to improve their teaching technique.
It seems to me that basic human nature tends to make us lazy. People often resist change, and do not like change. In this day and age change is taking place so rapidly, that the people who are resistant to change are going to be quickly left behind.

Karl Fisch: Is It Okay To BE A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

Of course its not okay to be a technologically illiterate teacher. I think Mr. Fisch was right on the money, and not to harsh at all. He made a very good point that computers have been around now for awhile, and there is no longer any excuse for not learning about them.
It just really goes back to how people in general just do not like change. In a classroom there should not be any excuses for not learning, and improving what you know as a teacher. The technology today has enhanced teaching methods tremendously, and one would be a fool not to keep up with it.

Gary Hayes Social Media Count

I think what this means for my career as a professional teacher is that I must become professionally literate to keep up. It is just amazing how many new users are added to facebook, and the exchange of electronic information that is going on.
There is no way that one can remain in the dark about all this new technology, and still have any relevance as a teacher. If you do not keep up with this technology, the students you are teaching will be smarter than you are. You will appear old, and out of touch to your students if you do not keep up. I think it would be better for your students to think of you as being on the cutting edge of what is available in terms of technology.

1 comment:

  1. Wesch

    Was this video intended to critique students or professors and the way colleges and teachers operate today? You reviewed it as a commentary related to your experiences as a student and a commentary on "having fun". What do you have to say about it as a commentary on learning?
    Kelly:
    Fast! Very fast!
    Fisch:
    What percentage of teachers at South, in the College of Education, in the Mobile and Baldwin county schools are technology literate? What do we do about them?
    Hayes:
    I am not sure they will be "smarter." But they sure won't like it if they can't use the technologies that they constantly use.

    You are making an important contribution to our ongoing discussion about technology and education. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete