About Me

My photo
I moved to Alabama in 1978,and graduated from Fairhope High School in 1984. I attended Faulkner State Jr. College, and then the University of South Alabama where I graduated with a Marketing degree. I am married with two children, Jack and Heather, and we live in Spanish Fort. I have gone back to the University of South Alabama, and I am majoring in Elementary Education. This is my blog where you can explore some of the different things I have done in my studies.

Blog Post Three.

Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff Please? by Scott McLeod.

I liked it, because there were few words, and a strong message. If you don't teach your kids about this technology, they are going to be lost. And if we as educators do not keep up with technology, our students will know more than we do about computers, and we will also be lost in a ever rapidly changing technological bonanza.
Scott McLeod is an associate professor and Coordinator of the Educational Administration program at Iowa State University. He is also the director of the nation's only center devoted to the technology needs of schools.

The iSchool Initiative.

I think his idea had some good points, but I personally believe you get something more when their is face to face interaction. I think technology like that is a great tool, and should be used. He did not really cover how much classroom time there would be, but I think classroom time should be as usual with technology simply enhancing the experience.
With all the the technology we have, I think we have to be careful not to replace the human element. Kids growing up need interaction, and the learning of social skills. So to sum it up I don't think this kids view is very realistic, unless the money situation gets even worse, then who knows.

Watch The Lost Generation.

At first I thought she was very negative, then she began reading it the other way, and it was all positive. Really amazing how reading it down, said the exact opposite of what it says when reading from the bottom up.
I always find things like this interesting. If you have the correct first letter and last letter of a word right, no matter how you mix up the middle letters, a person will still be able to read what you wrote very easily as if no words were misspelled.

Eric Whitaker's Virtual Choir.

Just amazing what technology can do these days. I think it is a great way to use the internet. If I was going to go live, and see the concert, I would not enjoy it. I think it would be a much better experience live, if it was with real people in the room.
This kind of technology is great for recording. There are so many technologies that have enhanced music. In my lifetime I have seen so many rapid changes in technology, the future will be very interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Great post James. I agree the future aught to be interesting.

    As you pointed out the ischool video did not address classroom time. As you said classroom time should enhance the experience and I agree. I think the amount and use of classroom time will inevitably change. The ability of the establishment to accept and implement that change will be the real clincher.

    Keep up the good work James. SS

    ReplyDelete