About Me

My photo
I moved to Alabama in 1978,and graduated from Fairhope High School in 1984. I attended Faulkner State Jr. College, and then the University of South Alabama where I graduated with a Marketing degree. I am married with two children, Jack and Heather, and we live in Spanish Fort. I have gone back to the University of South Alabama, and I am majoring in Elementary Education. This is my blog where you can explore some of the different things I have done in my studies.

Blog Post 8

"What Ive Learned This Year", by Mr. McClung

Mr. McClung said some interesting things. One of them was the lesson you plan on giving is not the lesson that actually comes out. He also talked about listening to his students, and how important that is in building rapport and respect. It made me think about how I would approach giving lessons, and how I would try to build rapport with my students by listening to them, and really caring about them as individuals. One thing that he talked about was gauging the students comprehension of what you are trying to teach them, and how important that is to do. Listening to other people I think is a skill that all of us need to practice.

2 comments:

  1. James,
    I agree with you. I loved this blog. Mr. McClung seemed so laid back and flexible. I would love to sit in on one of his lessons! He is totally true about you plan on this perfect lesson plan but things can and probably will go wrong! You should just go with the flow and not stress out. I really liked his out look. I enjoyed your thoughts and think you did a great job on your post. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. James,

    You bring up a good point about the future of education ... building rapport and respect. As you can see in this course, the way to teach is by helping students truly learn and having them by into the learning process and the content. The way to do that is to roll up our sleeves and get in the trenches with the students and earn their respect and build a lasting relationship. Gone are the days where learning was based on fear and the teacher was the sage on the stage!

    ReplyDelete