About Me

My photo
I moved to Alabama in 1978,and graduated from Fairhope High School in 1984. I attended Faulkner State Jr. College, and then the University of South Alabama where I graduated with a Marketing degree. I am married with two children, Jack and Heather, and we live in Spanish Fort. I have gone back to the University of South Alabama, and I am majoring in Elementary Education. This is my blog where you can explore some of the different things I have done in my studies.

Blog post 7, Randy Pausch's Last Lecture.

It was a very interesting lecture. It seems to me the teaching method that he advocated was a project based learning style. He wanted his students to actually do something as opposed to just reading about it. The brick wall he said was to keep people out that did not want it bad enough. His message was to not ever give up no matter how tough it might seem.
Randy said when people give you feedback you should cherish it, and use it. When people do not give you feedback, even if they see you doing something wrong, that is when you need to start getting worried. Randy also said the best gift an educator can give is to get a student to be self reflective. That was interesting, it shows how important it is to be honest with ourselves.
A very inspiring speaker, and considering his illness an inspiration to us all on how to be positive, and upbeat. His approach to learning was to actually do something, not just read about it, and to also make it fun at the same time. Make your dreams come true. Work hard, and your dreams will come to you.
He got to meet Captain Kirk! It was very interesting to me when he talked about Spock, and how the people surrounding Captain Kirk were smarter than the Captain. What was it that Captain Kirk had that made him special, it was his leadership ability. We do not always have to be the sharpest tool in the tool box, but we should surround ourselves with people who are, and learn from them.

2 comments:

  1. James,
    Thanks for reminding me what Dr. Pausch said about criticism. "If people see you doing something wrong, and do not correct you, it means they have given up on you." What a message for us to learn personally, and wouldn't that be great to pass along to our students? How to take criticism well and then how to use it... what a great life lesson!

    He broke my heart at the end when he said "this wasn't for you...it was for my kids." A man's last words are pretty powerful. I did read that he lived almost a year beyond the making of that video and made the most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimberly's comment is better than what I could write. Except for your excitement about Captain Kirk. That was neat!

    ReplyDelete