About Me

My photo
I moved to Alabama in 1978,and graduated from Fairhope High School in 1984. I attended Faulkner State Jr. College, and then the University of South Alabama where I graduated with a Marketing degree. I am married with two children, Jack and Heather, and we live in Spanish Fort. I have gone back to the University of South Alabama, and I am majoring in Elementary Education. This is my blog where you can explore some of the different things I have done in my studies.

Blog Post 6

This Is How We Dream Parts 1 and 2.

To me it is just fascinating how technology has advanced. It is just amazing how the internet has made endless information available about anything we want to learn about. It is so easy now to communicate with people from all over the world. The technology to put this information out there, and to gather this information is rapidly changing.
The information that used to take awhile to reach us now reaches us instantly. The information that comes to us, also changes, and is updated before our very eyes. We no longer have delayed results, we can now see things instantly as they are happening. We can now assimilate this information, using pictures, video, and sound to make our presentation, and send it out to the entire world with the click of a button.
It is hard for me to imagine now, how we ever did with out computers, but I remember when we did. I believe I will be prepared to write with multimedia, and I believe this class has helped me see the importance of this. I will try my best to spark my students interest in learning about these technologies. I started with my son last night by setting him up with an iGoogle account, and showing him how to add the different items that interest him.

The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler

Well, even with all the new technology I think you still need the teacher to guide, and inspire the student. I do not think a teacher will become something of the past. There is a lot to be said for the human connection as well as the technological connection that now exists.
I believe I will be prepared to be a teacher of networked students. I will always continue my learning and education. I think as a teacher this is a crucial aspect of ones personality, to never quit learning.
The PLN is an important part of this process. Even though I thought I was keeping up with things, I realize now after taking EDM 310 that I was not keeping up. I now see the bigger picture of using a PLN, and the different ways that information can be gathered and used.

Michael Wesch Video

I thought it was an interesting video. I love U Tube, it is one of my favorite sites. Its amazing the types of videos you can find. Any kind of musical artists, its just endless. We do seem to be a disconnected society that is now connecting through all these social networking sites, but there is still that sense of privacy where you can be connected, but with out people knowing who you are. I think in the future all this technology, and instant information is going to actually help make changes in the world happen quicker. The way technology is changing, it is hard to imagine what another fifty years will bring us. I think as an educator I will need to draw my students out of their complacency, and their "whatever attitude".

2 comments:

  1. It is amazing how far technology has come. I remember the first computer my dad got for his office, I think it was in the late 70's, It took up half the room and had a huge printer that could print a picture of the Mona Lisa made out of specifically placed x's. There was no such thing as Windows. I remember learning DOS in the eighties. Now I freak out when I can't access the internet so that I can get my work done. I just expect it to be there all the time. I have become dependent.
    I also like testing things out with my kids. If we are going to teach others they are the perfect test subjects to see how things work. I look forward to following your blog and hearing about how you are using what you are learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will find that your students will already be interested in using technology. You won't have to "spark their interest." Rather, you will have to guide and direct them in the use of those technologies as part of their learning activities. It will be exciting and I can tell you will be an eager participant who will effectively guide and inspire your students.

    It's hard to imagine what another 10 years will bring, much less 50! Can you also help draw current teachers "out of their complacency"? I hope so! No all need your assistance, but far too many do!

    ReplyDelete