About Me

My photo
I moved to Alabama in 1978,and graduated from Fairhope High School in 1984. I attended Faulkner State Jr. College, and then the University of South Alabama where I graduated with a Marketing degree. I am married with two children, Jack and Heather, and we live in Spanish Fort. I have gone back to the University of South Alabama, and I am majoring in Elementary Education. This is my blog where you can explore some of the different things I have done in my studies.

Blog Post 4.

After reviewing these materials, I have learned that podcasts are the way of the future. They are an effective way of communicating with sick students, or students who have to be away from school. Podcasts are something that students enjoy doing, and it promotes creativity.
Another great thing about podcasts is that parents can see, and hear what their children are learning in school. Podcasts offer a chance to do project based learning, and also brings out higher order thinking skills. I also found it interesting that even first graders are doing podcasts.

Eagle Nest Radio and Class blog.

I thought this was a great site, where the student's put together their own podcasts. There were several different ones that you could choose from. Interesting to see how young students enjoy, and are using podcasts in today's classrooms.
I think a website like this is great. It is something the children can be really proud of, and knowing that they helped put all the stuff together that is on it just reinforces their learning and self esteem. I wish when I was in school they would have had all this technology. It would have made learning so much more fun.

Langwitches.com

I thought this was a great site, and even saved it to my favorites. There is a lot of valuable information on this site. There are podcasts, and videos to watch. There is a lot of information on different technologies.
On the right side of the page there are articles on blogging, making podcasts, a section on digital story telling, and downloads. There is just a wealth of information on this site. There is a lot of information on how to use all these different technologies.

The Education Podcasting Network

This was another good site, although I do not like it as much as Langwitches.com. One interesting fact that they had posted was that out of all of their school podcasts, a majority of them were from elementary schools kids.
The site had subject specific podcasts, so that you could find a podcast on a subject that was interesting to you. I did not care for the lay out of the site that much, but that is just my personal taste.

Judy Scharf Podcast Collection

This was a good site. There was a nice section of downloads on how to do podcasts.
There was also a section on the benefits of podcasting in education. Overall a very informative site.
I think all these sites just shows how important podcasts are becoming in the field of education. I did not care for the lay out of this site that much either. It seems that today podcasts are becoming an invaluable tool in education.

3 comments:

  1. Hi James, podcasts are definitely the way to go! I don't think that it's the way of the future but it's here...we're just stuck in the past.You can definitely identify the benefit that podcast bring to those in school as well as those around the world. I plan to definitely use podcast when conducting meetings to allow those who are unable to attend to stay connected. Great posts, very informative. By the way, the EPN site was my least favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...podcasts are the way of the future." Well, at least one of the ways for the near term future, I agree. But things change really fast!

    Langwitches and Eagles Nest Radio are two of my favorites as well.

    Are you ready to be a podcasting teacher? I hope you will be after EDM310.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A commet on your presentation and your movie.

    Some of your pictures in your presentation are great! Especiallt the black and whites. And an old one as well! Two of the scans were not done properly. When you scanned the pictures you need to be sure the correct part of the picture (or all the picture) is what is selected for scanning. In the two instances I am referring to the entire scanning bed was selected. That's why the pictures are so small and are surrounded by space which is not easy to get rid of. I would rescan these pictures and correct then in your presentation. Your post will reflect the changes you make without any modifications.

    TimeToast: You start your kids driving early! Nice.

    ReplyDelete